Control of Substances Hazardous to Health
This usually strike fear and confusion into many businesses and is quite often put to one side hoping it will go away. Don't fear Karerisk is here to supply comprehensive product based assessment complete with the manufactures data sheets to ensure you are fully compliant with current legislation.
The law requires employers to control exposure to hazardous substances to prevent ill health. They have to protect both employees and others who may be exposed by complying with the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) (as amended).
COSHH is a useful tool of good management which sets basic measures that employers, and sometimes employees, must take
If you as an employer fail to adequately control hazardous substances, your employees or others may become ill. Effects from hazardous substances range from mild eye irritation to chronic lung disease or, on occasions, death. This could leave you liable to enforcement action, including:
- Prosecution under the COSHH Regulations
- Result in civil claims from your employees
- Result in lost productivity to your business
There can be positive benefits to your business from carefully following through the requirements of COSHH:
- Improved productivity as a result of using more effective controls (eg less use of raw material)
- Improved employee morale
- Better employee understanding and compliance with health and safety requirements
- Substances used directly in work activities (eg adhesives, paints, cleaning agents)
- Substances generated during work activities (eg fumes from soldering and welding)
- Naturally occurring substances (eg grain dust)
- Biological agents such as bacteria and other micro-organisms
Where are hazardous substances found?
In nearly all work environments including:
Effects of hazardous substances
Examples of the effects of hazardous substances include:
- Skin irritation or dermatitis as a result of skin contact
- Asthma as a result of developing allergy to substances used at work
- Losing consciousness as a result of being overcome by toxic fumes
- Cancer, which may appear long after the exposure to the chemical that caused it
- Infection from bacteria and other micro-organisms (biological agents)
Operation & Maintance Manuals
Karerisk removes the burden of production of your site specific operations and maintance manuals across a wide range of construction disciplines including Machincal and Electrical.
Our target is to 'Get It Right First Time' ensuring your clients satisfaction and enabling prompt payment.Start Here »